Saturday, September 14, 2013

IRB #1 - The Republic of Pirates: Being the True and Surprising Story of the Caribbean Pirates and the Man Who Brought Them Down by Collin Woodard

                The Republic of Pirates: Being the True and Surprising Story of the Caribbean Pirates and the Man Who Brought Them Down by Collin Woodard is an extensive research on the history of pirates. This book not only reveals the origin of the swashbucklers of the sea, but gives many detailed stories of famous pirates such as Blackbeard as well. When I first came across this book, I knew that it was the perfect IRB for because the topic of 18th century piracy was always fascinating to me. Even though pirates were no more than nomadic groups of raiders, the idea of these people live on through the characters like Captain Hook or Jack Sparrow. Because I grew up with these characters, I eventually began to embrace the pirates and the wonderful adventures they had. Through this book, I hope to learn the rise and the fall of the pirates in the Golden Age of Piracy. I also would like to understand how the piracy system worked, how certain pirates became famous captains, and how the pirates became one of the most feared groups of people during that time period. I hope that with the information in the book, I will be able to relate how piracy affects the world and how it changes the course of the history.

No comments:

Post a Comment