Wednesday, April 16, 2014

IRB #4 - Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

            Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell is a book about "intuitive repulsions" that people get from time to time. It is a book that tries to convince the reader that decisions made in a short burst of time can be as good as the decisions made in an extended period of time. The author claims that the book will touch on the subject of when instincts work against people, and how snap judgments can be educated and controlled. I decided to give this book a try because I personally believe that I am an intuitive person myself, trusting my gut instincts and sometime my impulses. While I was reading the introduction, a thought flashed across my mind: if people get their "intuitive repulsions" from time to time, doesn't that mean that I picked this book to give it a try because of my own "intuitive repulsion?" As it turned out, my intuition was right, for Gladwell claims that the design of the cover,  whatever associations I had with his name, and the short story that I already read at the beginning of the introduction has "fundamentally shaped the way" I read up to page 13 of the book. Through this book (which totally grabbed my attention after this incident by the way), I hope  to learn more about intuition and how I can control my own impulses so that they could benefit me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment